1/7/13

ALL THINGS BROKEN


This is how we start: listening to what my grandmother said, long before bone-cancer took its course, “He’s such a quiet child. Perceptive. Always thinking.” But she is gone, and we are older. I write: Our thoughts are like phantom-images, sometimes haunting us for a lifetime. This is why I’ve come to embrace all things broken. My heart is saddened by a wooden bat busting the femur of a pup and the steady whir of a surgical saw slicing through marrow. And because of a sense of loss, of what no longer exists, we fuel are anger. So I touch the bare skin of a three-legged dog, careful not to disrupt the morphine patch on his shaven back. His loyalty triumphs our hardships. When he is rested he will wag his tail and run inside a warm house, taking each step without retribution.

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Nothing can keep a good dog down. WTF is the matter with people is what I wonder.

jodi said...

J.R.-that breaks my heart. No words. xo

Charles Gramlich said...

If only dogs could be made to inherit the earth. The world would be a better place. We've certainly not done anything to deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Well written story. A real thought producer. I believe Samuel said it best. "The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain JR thank you for sharing.

Huck

ivan@creativewritng.ca said...

Brilliant.

Straight from the heart.

Reminds me, peripherally, of

'When everythings meant to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am'

(Goo Goo Dolls-Iris)

...........

(Funy thing: When I googled for Goo-Goo, it said, at the end of the lyric, "Report abuse."

Anonymous said...

Good writing JR. Feel for the dog.
Ivan, I believe it's what you do with the Goo. :) MW