3/9/11

"Under the Bridge" & "Polaroid"

Here are two poems, one new and one old. There seems to be a common theme about disappearing, or so I think. Or are they just nostalgic words longing for yesterday? I’m not sure.

Under the Bridge

That evening under the bridge,
with a calm summer breeze against
pendulummed feet, we talked.

Of what? I don’t recall. Our sentences:
dream-bubble-currents churned
in the undertow below.

My actions were set in stone that day,
call it Houdini-speak, how I would not
tell you about my vanishing act.

Like that bottle of wine we uncorked and drank
then tossed near the breakwall only to be
consumed again.

Eighteen winters later, with bloodlines drawn,
there’s no message in that bottle, no Ouija board
or séance to be held, only spring’s thaw—

Where water rushes inward and pushes back the vowels
as I think about what you would have said, what you did say,

“I object—”

And for one brief moment down on Emerald Street,
I thought I saw my open-mouthed smile pressed
against the surface of your eye.


Polaroid

Someone’s fingers are itchin’
to pull the trigger. Call it:
The chemical rub-out before
the sun does its work. Still,
a middle class family
appears (such a rarity
these days). The dull colors
frozen like a Ted Turner classic.
What happened that night is momentarily
forgotten; They are ready
to celebrate with two candles lit,
a four, a five, sunk into Mother’s
cake. The youngest boy emerges
from solitary confinement, his wish
exhaled, gone in a flash.


*Currently listening to the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed."

10 comments:

C... said...

Great poems!

the walking man said...

Liked the first one best Jim, it has an "I should have..." feel to it. The type of writing that leaves it totally to the audience to decipher and end.

The second one, sad though it may be, I for one refuse to give up all the things our work has done, even if it is a birthday cake with a rising number on it,

Charles Gramlich said...

Very moody stuff. Your choice of music would seem to be appropriate. These are very good.

Erik Donald France said...

Beautiful, JR. Poetry suits you very nicely~

Anonymous said...

JR. Good stuff. "Pendulummed" nice touch. Right up there with tintinabbulation.
Huck

Tikilee said...

Nice work sir. I've always liked poems about pictures. They're always more profound than a photo or illustration created after the fact to fit a written piece.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I think the second older poem is more of a picture poem than the first. Still, photographs are wonderful writing prompts, that's for sure. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Anonymous said...

The picture look like the North end of Stoney Creek. Got spring fever and can't wait to get the dog back over there on the weekends. Think you can run it? I know with the dog I won't have a problem walking it but running the distance is another matter. The poems are great time pieces. Enjoyed the read MW

Julie said...

Awesome poems, JR. I especially love the image of the 4 and 5 sinking into the cake. The first poem is my favorite as far as phrasing goes. Very good work!

Mona said...

Wow! These are beautiful pieces! I love the flow in both the poems!